I have been slow to get on board with the Merchant and Mills patterns. I suppose I’m not sure that I like the presentation on their photo shoots. The photos seem very dark to me and somehow remind me too much that I live in dark dingy England.
Take a look at the photo on the pattern envelope – looks like some run-down back alley, turn the corner and you bump into the wheely bins.
Or this one for the Strand – looks like it’s taken in a grimy school sports hall.
Yes, I suspect that some of my blog photos look like this, but hey I’m not trying to sell anything. It’s only been since I’ve seen other people’s makes on line that I have truly come to see the potential and style of these patterns. Yes, the designs seem deceptively simple, but these are the garments that will make my everyday wardrobe.
View this post on Instagram
Such a quick satisfying make. This is the #fieldertop from #merchantandmills. I used some double gauze with a constellations print from #guthrieandghani for the main fabric. I love double gauze it is so light and airy. The cuffs and hem are made from ready-cut rib knit (a bit expensive), but the gold stripes, I think work well.
For my fabric, I decided to use some beautiful cotton gauze that I bought last year at Guthrie and Ghani when I was at Sew Brum. It has gold stars and white constellations on a grey background. Cotton gauze isn’t one of the fabric recommendations on the Fielder pattern envelope and I’m not sure why as it is a fabric that perfectly suits this type of make. I really had some trouble figuring out what rib knit to use for the cuffs, neck and waist. I bought some plain grey rib knit, but somehow that didn’t work well with the grey background in my fabric (you know how you can get a colour match to be close, but it somehow looks wore than if you hadn’t tried to match it). So I bought some, rather expensive ready-cut cuffs (Albstoffe) which are cream in colour and have bands of gold. I think these look better, but I must look out for more reasonably-priced rib knits when I make this pattern again.
The instructions are laid out well, and it felt unusual for me to have instructions that were this detailed and easy to follow. I guess I’m too used to those dreadful Burda instructions these days. It was a pleasure not to be challenged and I felt it all went well without any unpicking (for a change).
I make a size xx, but I did widen at the back (which is a usual adjustment for my wide shoulders). One thing that I would say is that I wasn’t exactly sure how long the sleeves were supposed to be. I actually lengthened mine a little and will probably make them even longer, when I make this again. I also noticed that the website also offers a crew-neck hack. I like the idea of making this version too – as this could make a good winter choice. I’m undecided about whether I like the short-sleeved version.
I haven’t worn this make much so far as it has been a bit too warm for it, but I’m sure it will get plenty of use come the autumn.