When the Sewing the Seventies challenge finished last year, I got a few inquiries about whether it was going to run again next year. I had such a great time last year making my garments and seeing everyone else’s makes that I thought I’d run it again.
Like last year, I’m going to run the challenge over the next few weeks and dedicate my blog to all things 1970s related. This year, as well as the contest to make a seventies outfit, I’m also inviting you all to join me in “Living the Seventies”. I’m planning to spend ten days (in March) immersing myself in the decade; listening to the music, watching the films, eating some seventies-inspired food and of course, wearing the fashions of the era.
Here’s the important information:
What is Sewing the Seventies?
It is a sewing and knitting challenge to make clothing inspired by the fashions of the seventies.
The challenge starts today and you have until 26th March to sew or knit your garment or outfit.
How do I join in with Sewing the Seventies?
You are all invited, no matter where you live.
- Leave a comment on this post if you are interested.
- Write a post about your seventies make in the next two months including at least three pictures of each make.
- The post must have “Sewing The Seventies” in the title
- Add a link back here to the Steely Seamstress site so that others can see what Sewing the Seventies is all about.
- Grab the Sewing the Seventies button. The code on my side bar can be copied and pasted into a Text Widget on WordPress, or you can download the image and use it on your site.
- I will share all your posts on this site towards the end of March.
I’m slow at sewing, or I have lots of other sewing to do?
I know the feeling! Life just keeps getting in the way of my sewing plans too. That’s why the challenge is open for two months for more sewing time. I’m not the world’s fastest at sewing either – entering just one garment is fine too! If you don’t wish to sew or knit, join me for “Living the Seventies” and immerse yourself in the decade in whatever way you wish.
I don’t have any vintage seventies patterns?
No problem! This challenge is all about the seventies vibe, so using a modern pattern with a seventies look or a seventies-inspired fabric is great too.
In fact, I’m planning to write a few “inspiration” posts in the next month, with lots of suggestions, watch out for those!
Tell me now! What’s the prize?
That would be telling! I’ll announce this in a couple of weeks time!