Slowly, but surely – that’s the way I’d describe my progress on the Jordan jacket. In the last couple of weeks I have concentrated mostly on sewing the pockets for the jacket.
The upper pockets were fiddly, but only because I cut the pocket flaps so that the helicopters match and then had to sew them exactly in place so that the helicopter synchronously moved in a right to left direction.
I was very pleased with how the single welt pockets came together too. When I first received this pattern in the post, I perused the instructions sheets while dreaming of my yet-to-be-made jacket. Does anyone else out there, read the sewing instructions for fun on the train, or am I just weird? Anyway, I digress. When I first saw the instructions all I noticed were the hand-drawn sketches and somehow my techie side just thought that they were quaint and old-fashioned. But now I’ve been using the instructions, I can’t praise them enough! Just nothing, and I mean nothing is left to chance. They are a complete breeze to follow. I really liked the use of freezer paper to help transfer the pocket placement marks onto the fabric. In fact, it made things so easy that I did used the method on both sides of the jacket in exactly the same way, even though the instructions suggested that it wasn’t necessary.
So here are some pictures of the beautiful pockets:
This is definitely a summer jacket, so at least I’m not trying to rush it in order to wear it. Even so, I’m desperately trying not to get impatient with my progress. It’s probably the most complex thing I’ve sewn and don’t I know it!
Pingback: Helicopter Jacket | The Monthly Stitch